Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Week 2 - Template creation

Template ;

Creating the template

Colour mode -

I have decided to use the RGB (Red, Green, Blue) colour setting in which I will create my final image, it will then be switched to CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) because RGB is the preference for working on a computer display because the screen itself will display the colours differently -- whereas if i were to use CMYK the colours on screen will be distorted and will likely be also distored on print.

I also have decided to use 8 bit colour for the image, the reason for this is that it won't need to have a major colour depth and detail, whereas if i was creating images such as 3D images for a game or something similar I would choose 16 or 32 bit colour.

Resolution -

I have decided to use the 300 PPI (Pixels per inch) the standard for professional print, whereas I could use up to 600 PPI - I don't think that the image will need that much detail mainly because it's for a DVD cover but if it was for a full blown movie poster at a bus stop or in the cinema 600 PPI or higher will be required.

Background contents -

I have decided to use a transparent background content mainly because in the long run, it will make it easier to create the image and it won't crop the white background or any colour used into the proper image.

Image size -

I have looked into what sort of image sizes I should use and have come up with 280mm * 190mm (including bleed areas), with a width of 130mm for the cover page, 130mm for the back page and 14mm for the spine of the cover (not including bleed areas), and a height of 184mm for each part, the colours will extend out into the bleed area.

Bleed areas will be 3mm top, down, left and right, I think that this allocated size is perfect for the bleed area and minimises any chance of possible cropping.

The safety area will be allocated at 3mm for each side, i believe this to be necessary because I do not want to risk any future problems with printing or cropping.

Websites used for research ;

http://www.a1cds.co.uk/artwork/dvd-artwork-spec/dvd-cover-spec

http://uk.ask.com/question/what-are-the-dimensions-of-a-dvd-case



This is the final template, with a final moderate current image size of 21.2MB
























No comments:

Post a Comment